Spiritual Warfare and the Discernment of Spirits, by Dan Burke
Come and join your fellow parishioners for this four-week book study running on Mondays from April 12th to May 3rd at 7:00 PM via Zoom. This book comes highly recommended for all who are seeking to navigate these uncertain times with grace and trust. Anyone wishing to join this group is asked to purchase their copy of the book. It’s available from Amazon, here.
Prior to the first meeting, it is asked that you read up until page 29.
Book Description (from Sophia Press):
Satan is always at work breeding sadness and anxiety while providing obstacles that prevent souls from making spiritual progress. In this concise yet powerful book, author Dan Burke presents the venerable, time-tested wisdom of Catholic mystics to help you understand the influence of the Enemy on your mind and heart, and the tactics you need to combat him. With St. Ignatius as his guide, Burke presents here an indispensable, authoritative manual for engaging in daily battle with the Adversary—combat that is both inevitable and winnable. Burke will help you recognize the ebbs and flows of consolation and desolation, and distinguish between the voices of God and of Satan. Best of all, you’ll come to see the spiritual life not as a science to be learned, but as an intuitive art to be practiced as you move with increasing success from habitual sin to sanctity.The battle for our souls is unavoidable. The saints won theirs by learning how to be spiritual warriors and by recognizing that we become stronger through battle and grow weaker from avoidance. With this book as your guide, you’ll grow in strength and contentment as you learn:
- How to take captive every negative thought and make it obedient to Christ
- St. Ignatius’s revelations exposing how the Devil seeks to influence us
- The Paradigm of Ascent and the Five Steps to Sanctity
- The three ways you can discern “Good Spirits” from “Bad Spirits”
- The three principal causes of desolation—and what you must do when it afflicts your soul
- Proven methods for moving away from sin and toward self-giving love of God and neighbor.
See you there.